Rescheduled, Closed or Cancelled for Wednesday
August 30th, 2011 by Amber Lester
Due to the effects of Hurricane Irene, businesses, government buildings and other organizations have announced closures and cancellations for Wednesday. Find closure information, by locality, below.
More information is coming in all the time to WYDaily, so be sure to check here periodically to get the information you need. To share closings not listed here, leave a comment or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The data is organized by locality, and includes updates from both local government and businesses. To help get through the list more easily, you can hit “control + F” and type in a key word, which will take you to that word in the story.
We have our own cancellation to report: The Chesapeake Bank Jimmye Laycock Show scheduled for Wednesday has been cancelled. Our radio stations, 92.3 The Tide and 107.9 BACH FM, will now broadcast the first William and Mary football show live from Buffalo Wild Wings on Sept. 7. The show, hosted by longtime Tribe announcer Jay Colley, begins at 6:30 p.m., with a live on-site interview from 7 to 7:30 p.m. Fans are encouraged to enjoy dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings prior to the show, a chance to win raffle prizes and see highlight tape from the previous week’s game.
- WJCC freshman orientations have been rescheduled. Find the detailed information here.
- All York County Schools have electricity, and adjustments have been made to Open Houses. At Queens Lake Middle School, the sixth grade and new student open house is rescheduled for 10 to 11 a.m. Thursday. There will not be an open house for returning seventh and eighth grade students; class schedules have been mailed to all students. At Bruton High School, the ninth grade open house has been rescheduled for 9 to 11 a.m. Friday and the tenth to twelth grades open house is from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Friday.
- The College of William and Mary has rescheduled its Opening Convocation for 4:30 p.m. Friday in the Wren Courtyard. U.S. District Judge Rebecca Beach Smith will not be able to deliver the convocation address as planned, but will speak next year. President Taylor Reveley and Vice President for Student Affairs Ginger Ambler will offer remarks. Following the procession of new students through the Wren Building, the community is invited to a picnic dinner in the Sunken Garden. In the event of inclement weather, an announcement will be available by calling 221-3868.
- The College of William and Mary has rescheduled the test of its siren and emergency alert system originally planned for Wednesday. It will now be tested on Sept. 7.
- The James City County Planning Commission Policy Committee has rescheduled Wednesday’s meeting to Sept. 1 at 4 p.m. to discuss the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance Update.
Closings and Cancellations
- Jamestown-Scotland Ferry has resumed normal service as of 10 p.m. Tuesday.
- Amtrak’s service west of Richmond to and from Newport News is still suspended.
- Williamsburg Regional Library’s two locations are open, but the online catalog is still inaccessible anywhere outside of the James City County Library due to a communication issue beyond the library’s control.
- The city closed its Emergency Operations Center on Tuesday. The public inquiry line remains open at 757-259-7200.
- Quarterpath Pool is now closed for the season. Redoubt Park is closed until further notice due to downed trees.
- Surry Connector may be delayed intermittently, due to limited service of the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry, although those relays should be resolved with reinstatement of the full ferry schedule as of 10 p.m. Tuesday.
James City County
- WJCC employees asked to return to schools where power has been restored. To see if a school’s power has been restored, check here.
- Tewning Road and Toano Convenience Centers will be closed until electricity is provided. Jolly Pond Road is now open to all vehicles taking hurricane debris and residential trash to the Jolly Pond Convenience Center. Downed power lines are limiting access to Jolly Pond Road. Jolly Pond Road is open to cars only. All other vehicles must use Chickahominy Road and Cranston’s Mill Pond Road to access the Convenience Center. Any missed recycling collections will not be made up. Save your recyclables until your next scheduled pick up date.
- Water Country USA will be closed. Only essential team members should report to the park.