Ukrops Closing Mooretown Rd. Store – Retains Option to Reopen

December 31st, 2008 by WY Daily Staff

Ukrops Closing Mooretown Rd. Store - Retains Option to Reopen

Citing the slowing housing market causing slower than expected residential growth near in the Lightfoot area of greater Williamsburg, Ukrops announced plans to close its Mooretown Road location on February 1st.

The store opened in October of 2006.
“We opened the Lightfoot store in anticipation of the significant growth expected along the I-64 corridor,” wrote company president Robert Ukrop in a letter to customers yesterday.
“However, the current housing slowdown, impacting the Williamsburg area as it has the rest of the country, suggests that development will be sluggish, at least for the foreseeable future.
“Given these circumstances, it simply does not make good business sense to keep two stores open in such close proximity; however, should the situation change, we do have the option of reopening.”
Ukrops said pharmacy prescriptions will be shifted to the Monticello Marketplace store on January 31st and the First Market Bank located at Mooretown Road will remain open until March 31st.
The Mooretown Road store closure will result in Ukrops owning 28 stores statewide, most being in the Richmond area.

6 Responses to Ukrops Closing Mooretown Rd. Store – Retains Option to Reopen

1. Anonymous

December 31, 2008 at 4:54 pm

This is very upsetting news… We live just across the interstate and love Ukrops. I guess we are going to have to drive 5 miles again to get a good cut of meat. Good thing the price of gas has gone down.

2. Anonymous

December 31, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Would so much rather lose farm fresh–any and all of them–before closing a single Ukrop’s. With all the ugly development going up at Anderson’s Corner, we need to keep a reputable grocery store in reach of the upper counties. This decision decidedly stinks. Happy new year.

3. Anonymous

December 31, 2008 at 4:55 pm

I would like to commend Ukrops for their wonderful service. While I shop at both local Ukrops, and like all of the colorful and not so colorful characters who provide excellent service, I particularly liked the Mooretown Road store. I wish all of the employees well and look forward to a time when this store can be reopened.

4. Anonymous

December 31, 2008 at 7:19 pm

I think Ukrops took too much on, when they sought to be near Wal-Mart. In the economic climate we have, their prices are quite high for many if the same things one can buy at Wal-Mart for less.

I certainly won’t miss their bank, which I was assured had customer friendly policies, but upon having an account there, I found it otherwise – high penalties and that unfair day end at 2 pm for deposits, but not debits!

5. Anonymous

December 31, 2008 at 7:19 pm

I’m so saddened to hear of this store’s closing. Shopping with kids is tow can be a challenge, but it’s been one made far more bearable since Ukrops came to Mooretown Road. Ukrops offers a selection such that I can accomplish all of my grocery shopping in one place (the brand of juice, selection of yogurt, variety of tampon, and flavor of bagles all in one store right here in the Lightfoot/Norge/Toano area – a store that isn’t Wally-World! Shocking!). More importantly, the staff is friendly and always helpful. And the pharmacy – I can’t say enough good things about the ladies working behind the counter (and the drive-up window!!) of the pharmacy! I will miss this store because the quality, convenience, and conscientiousness of this Ukrops is unparalleled in the Upper Counties area!

6. Anonymous

January 4, 2009 at 7:23 am

i work in this Ukrops that they are closing down i am not happy about it and i am very up-site with the Ukrops for closing this store and also i do work there and i love that stor where it is and extra there.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login